Wednesday 19 March 2014

Things you should see: Lip Service

Sam (Heather Peace), Sadie (Natasha O'Keeffe), Frankie (Ruta Gedmintas), Tess (Fiona Button), Cat (Laura Fraser), Lexy (Anna Skellern). Let's ignore the fact that for some mysterious reason Cat looks like a creepy wax figure here. 


First thing, Lip Service is a bit of old news and second thing, I probably wouldn't use "should" unless it was in the title of this series. But I felt inspired to write about this thing since I've been rewatched the series. I don't know why I thought that would be good idea. I wouldn't want anyone to became the emotional wreck I am at the moment so I'd be pretty cautious with this recommendation. Then again, if you're either a total TV junkie for anything involving gay ladies or someone who's gets a kick out of pain and suffering, well, then you've found exactly what you've been looking for! Congratulations. 

So for those, who missed the train the first time, Lip Service is a British drama series about friends living in Glasgow, Scotland. It was made between 2010 and 2012 for two series which equals twelve episodes. So it doesn't take much of your life to binge watch it. Time wise, that is. As all the main characters have serious lady loving tendencies, it's been compared to The L Word. Because hello, there really aren't any shows about lesbians but also maybe because the three main characters on series one kind of have The L Word counter parts. But Lip Service has more realistic touch. Could be that it's British, could be that there actually are straight people, too, could be that it feels culturally more familiar to me on personally level. Plot wise I wouldn't expect much more, though.

Basically both series revolve around love triangles (with mostly different people) and other stuff happens but I really didn't care for all the subplots that much the first time, let alone the second. And basically if one should compare for example fourth episode of each series one is left wondering if this even is the same show. But it's not bad really. I mean it's not like watching the Real L Word. Occasionally it's really good. And funny. Besides if you get emotionally involved with all the shipping, you're in for a hell of ride. I really didn't feel that strongly about any ship but that doesn't mean I weren't falling for certain characters are caring about what happened to them. In other words, yet again, I got way too involved emotionally.

In series one, I really loved Cat, although it was probably more Laura Fraser's face that I was attracted to than Cat's neurotic ways. The second series made me such an emotional mess for reasons I don't want to go into but you all who've been through what I have, know what I am talking about. I was iffy whether I should just ditch the entire show but there was a reason I couldn't. And the reason was Lexy Price. About everyone and their mother fell for Lexy, who came in as a new character on second series, and why wouldn't they; that was the character the show probably was missing earlier and it definitely lift it to whole another level. It definitely wasn't just Anna Skellern: Lexy was so dreamy she will likely remain among my most loved TV show characters until the end of time. Pretty much an actual dream girl that one.

But actually, no matter what's your type, you probably find a character to fall head over heels in love with. Or at least to identify with. And I personally value good personal chemistry among actors and feels the show gives me. Good writing is always a plus but then again one of my favourite TV shows is Rizzoli & Isles, so there's that. Oh, and also if you have a thing for accents, you're in luck. (That is unless it is the accent you have and you don't find it hot.) The show sets in Glasgow and if you ask me, the Scottish accent is the best of them all. Also, Anna Skellern's from Australia. Sweet! So there you go. Enter with caution and get ready to encounter all your emotions, probably during one single episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment