Monday 10 March 2014

Catherine Keener: you bet I'm keen on you

Within a couple of days I've watched films Enough Said and Lovely & Amazing both of which were, well lovely and amazing. Enough said. (I have really outdone myself with bad puns halfway the first chapter.) Both were written and directed by Nicole Holofcener whose work I seem to have been drawn to, judging by IMDb, without even realising so. So I think it's safe to say, she's pretty awesome. And one thing that we definitely have in common, is our love for Catherine Keener.

Because Catherine Keener, oh wow, really. First of all, have you seen her?! Just look at this heavenly creature:
What even is that hair?

Those cheekbones are really to die for and overall everything about that face and her stature, the way she carries herself is kind of... regal even. I totally thought she was a lot taller than she is. Also her voice. And that laugh. You know, the list could go on and on.

Who Catherine Keener really is, as a person, is kind of a mystery though. She doesn't seem to be too big on interviews and now that I think of it, I don't really know that much about her. But I consider myself a good judge of character. And you can always tell something about a person even if they really aren't revealing that much. I do remember reading that she went to all-women's college and loved it for all the feminism and strong women. And that she left the Oscars once to attend a Yeah Yeah Yeahs gig, wearing the same dress. And apparently she's kind of obsessed with nuns (you and I both, sister) and wanted to be one as a kid. Pretty much my definition of a cool person.

Not only is she secretive and cool but also productive. I mean, I think I've seen a ton of her work and there's still about as much to see. She stars in many films that could be labelled as some really bizarre stuff (like Living in Oblivion, Being John Malkovich or Synecdoche, New York) a.k.a. my favourite stuff. But also in just really random things. Like, well now Academy Award nominated film Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (although her scenes were apparently cut from the final version). And if someone does that and A Late Quartet within a short period of time, you can say their body of work is eclectic to say the least. And probably that they couldn't care less what other people think. That really is the fastest way straight to my heart.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment