Wednesday 2 April 2014

Reckless older women

Within about six months year I've seen three films made in 2013 revolving around the same theme and that I enjoyed a lot. That common theme is something you don't encounter every day. Bright Days Ahead, On My Way and Gloria concentrate on the so-called third act in a person's life. In a woman's life. Yeah, we all know Hollywood's obsessed with youth and like Tina Fey said in the Golden Globes monologue, Meryl Streep proves there are still great parts in Hollywood - for Meryl Streeps over sixty.

 But not everyone can be Meryl Streep. If it's generally worth mentioning that in some film there was a great role for a woman, a younger woman, there really can't be much to choose from for those in more mature state. This could be discussed on forever but I have no interest really. I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said. I mean, there' s a huge audience willing to go see films that speak to them on any level at all. And being in fifties nowadays is a whole different thing than being it in the say sixty years ago when you were gifted with a rocking chair and expected to be one foot in a grave. But I guess people reading this acknowledge that.

I loved Calendar Girls (2003) when I saw it in my teens. Whenever I re-watch Mamma Mia (2008) I come to realise I've forgotten that there are young people in it, too. I wish there were more films like Irina Palm (2007) or Elena (2011) out there. Films that show that these women are so much more than cardboard cutout mothers and grandmothers, looming in the shadows or in some supporting role. 

The three first mentioned, very recent films are basically light with comedic elements but aren't to be taken lightly. They show what sounds only reasonable but seems to be a hard one to get: that life doesn't stop when you get "old". In Bright Days Ahead Fanny Ardant's character retires and finds out she needs more in her life than mundane pottery classes. So she engages in an affair with a younger man. In On My Way, Catherine Deneuve's character takes an impromptu road trip and enjoys her new found freedom. Much like Paulina Garcia's Gloria in the movie of the same title.

These women have grown kids, they are finally free: probably for the first time ever and they can do whatever they please. So they get wild. They are the main characters I their own stories like one should be. They go out drinking. And - gasp - they have sex. This is something that I want to see, and being a person who always ends up seeing films where the average audience age is around fifty, my guess is all these people way closer the target age want to see those films, too. 

American Apparel had recently the 62-year-old Jacky O'Shaughnessy as an underwear model. Jessica Lange was just made the new face of Marc Jacobs Beauty. This is something that should happen more. These life stories that actually are life stories have so much to offer. People are willing to see and hear these stories it if they get a chance. I so hope this is the new thing. That there'll be more these films. From all over the world. Because there's really more going on out there than white able-bodied cis-gender heterosexuals who are conventionally good looking and in their 20's or 30's falling in love.

Albeit, being all for women not giving a hoot about anything at all and behaving kind of badly, it shouldn't be the only thing we see. Most women that age, or any age, don't end up giving hand jobs for money nor wake up alone on a beach wearing one shoe after a wild night out. Not every older woman should hook up with a younger person. If one does, they have every right to do so but all kinds of stories deserve to be told. Diversity is the key word. Yet again. But then again, the first pioneers need to clear the way for all these stories out there waiting to make it to the silver screen. And I for one don't mind; these reckless older women - boy do I love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment