Saturday 19 April 2014

"I can get any woman away from any man."


 I've always loved so-called classic movie stars and their otherworldly, wondrous charisma. One of the first loves of my life was Marilyn Monroe when I was around seven years old. Then came Marlene Dietrich. I remember seeing her wearing a tuxedo in Marocco and it was truly love at first sight. I think I was around 12-13 at that time. Soon after that I discovered Greta Garbo and of these starlets I've loved her the most. She was mysterious, she was mystical, I related to her on some really special level. Her somehow reserved and eerie presence intrigued me. And she possessed otherworldly beauty I had never seen before.

I'll always remember the day I found out she and Marlene had been lovers. Imagine me including all the exclamation marks in the world here.

Now producer Megan Ellison is making yet-to-be titled TV series of these two also including other icons of the Golden Age of Hollywood like John Gilbert, Mercedes de Acosta, Tallulah Bankhead, Alla Nazimova, Barbara Stanwyck, Cary Grant and John Wayne. I sense a strong sapphic emotions coming this way as I know also De Acosta was involved with Garbo and Dietrich. I remember De Acosta's words "I can get any woman away from any man." I'm looking forward seeing that (and everything else I've just been visualizing in my dreams) dramatized for a small screen.

I'm also quite nervous. Garbo and Dietrich are such icons. Who will be playing them? Will I be content or disappointed? I'm naturally expecting a lot and even more. I can't really think of any modern movie stars who would remind me of them. You know the awkward and confusing feeling when someone you don't really have hots for plays someone who you've been head over heels in love with. It's always hard to portray someone who has been truly iconic. But on the other hand, I do remember Marion Cotillard as Edith Piaf. Actressess in roles like that are a blessing and give me hope. Let's wish for something similar for this project. 



No comments:

Post a Comment