Saturday 26 April 2014

Weekend Jam: Marianne Faithfull - Hold On, Hold On

Last time when it was my turn to pick the Weekend Jam, we were listening to Neko Case. This week we are doing that again. Kind of. For my pick this time is Marianne Faithfull - covering a Neko Case song Hold On, Hold On

I definitely enjoy the original but honestly, I love this version even more. Marianne was almost thirty years older than Neko when recording the track and that's bound to give a certain touch to it. Even more so when that person has had more than enough life experience than maybe you ad me and everyone we know combined. When Marianne sings "compared to some I've been around/ but I really tried so hard" or "with a valium from the bride / it's the devil I love" it gives me shivers down my spine.

Marianne Faithfull in Later... with Jools Holland in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment