Thursday 27 February 2014

Imaginary girlfriend: Arizona Robbins – Doctor Love, she can cure my every pain

When Grey's Anatomy started, I checked it out. From time to time I did catch up on it and I knew the biggest storylines. Miranda Bailey was my favourite character and I did like Christina Yang, but no one really kept me watching it. When I heard rumours that Callie Torres was shopping around the corner, so to say, I got intrigued. Next stop, Seattle Grace Hospital! Unfortunately Erica Hahn didn't do much for me. Also, their fling was over in a heartbeat and Erica Hahn walked across the parking lot never to return. I thought that was it and all was well again in the straight kingdom. But hark! Suddenly rolling the hallways of the hospital was a new doctor. (And she really was rolling for she was wearing roller skate shoes: had I not been swooning prior to that that would have sealed the deal.) Her name was Arizona Robbins. She was super perky, super optimistic, super outgoing and cool, prancing around like a puppy dog, yet somewhat a womaniser and definitely my type. I was smitten.

I can't handle your cute. 


And I wasn't alone. Everyone was falling head over heels for Arizona. And for Callie. Everything was Calzona and nothing hurt. Except that it did, and boy how much. Basically what I've learnt from medical series is that if you're a doctor and dying of an old age and you're having your mental stability and all your arms and legs at that point and all your friends haven't died in freak accidents, you my friend have accomplished a mission impossible. There have been fleeting and short happy times for Calzona and tons of angst and pain – after all, it's a drama series universe. And the Calzona corner of it must be the most dramatic one.



After the peds surgeon kissed the orthopedic surgeon in the bar bathroom, I have not missed a single episode. A friend stated that the last five series have been pretty awful but I can't really compare. Besides, even if there are other characters I care for, Arizona's been my babe. And once I have picked my team, I am loyal to it. I've always rooted for her and felt sad for she's been used often only as a tool to Callie's problems. Arizona is far from perfect and many weren't too thrilled with her during the series nine. Which I do get, but don't you dare to say nothing bad about my baby (don't you know / I love her so)! I really appreciated the dark side: it was always there, the twist, she didn't just change over night. She was never just sunshine, lollipops and rainbows.


Nor can I handle your hot.

Time (or well, Shonda Rhimes) is yet to tell what will happen to them. I personally am a shipper of questionable morals and as long as Arizona has a lady she's keen on, I am on board of that ship. But deep inside my sentimental heart, I do have sappy dreams of Arizona being back in Callie's arms and hearing her call her Calliope. Let's face it: it's something that would make my – and every other fangirls' - ovaries go boom. And hearts sing. And days brighter. After that perfect storm and some heavy rain it would be about time to let the sunshine in again.

No comments:

Post a Comment