Wednesday 12 February 2014

Orla Brady: There's a woman in Ireland to whom my singing is sweeter than the music of strings


Who's totally hot, middle aged and apparently doesn't have a vast fan base on the world wide web for even finding photos of her is kind of hard (having hots for super famous people has its positive sides)? There are definitely quite a few but Orla Brady is one that fits the description. And that woman would really deserve an army of swooning fangirls.

Our paths must've crossed probably first time when I watched the film The Luzhin Defence but it was the BBC series Mistresses in 2008 that made me rush in like the fool I am. I don't know how many times I've seen the first series and just recently I took a trip down the memory lane and re-watched all three of them. I'm not even getting started on it for I could talk about it forever and then some. Like now when re-watching, I felt a need to recap it all to a friend to whom I had obsessed over it back in the 2008 and so. She could probably recite the main story lines never having seen even a minute of it. So likely this won't be last time I vent about Mistresses: believe me you, I am so going to dedicate a post to each main cast member sooner or later. But we're kicking it off with the glorious human specimen that goes under the name Orla Brady.

Even though I fell for the entire cast separately and together and cared for each character, it was pretty clear it wasn't Siobhan Dhillon but the woman who played her, i.e. Orla Brady who had me all hot and bothered. Although troubled characters are my weakness, too: Siobhan seemed cool and collected but she was all over the place. Her storyline was heartbreaking, frustrating and her self destruction and shitting where you're eating had some appeal to me. But I think it really was mostly that the actress physically reminded me a lot of the teacher I spent my last two high school years drooling after. Also, it was her voice. And her eyes. I've never quite gasped the idea of "bedroom eyes" but I think it's safe to say this woman has that game going on strong. Basically all she has to do is... exist and I find her to be pretty much the hottest thing ever.

Recently I've been spending time digging more into her work for not only did we have one surprise encounter in Hercule Poirot but also she made my Yuletide gay by appearing in the Doctor Who Christmas Special. I thought the most thrilling thing in the episode would be the regeneration and meeting Peter Capaldi as the Doctor but the entire episode pretty much left me asking Doctor... who? Thanks to Orla Brady who appeared as Tasha Lem – a rather sassy and seductive Mother Superious of a space church. I mean, just look at her:

 Definitely a church I would consider going to. Intergalactic nuns! And then there's the  one leading them.

While doing this recent research I learnt that her latest project is called The Price of Desire. Orla Brady will be portraying Eileen Gray: a furniture designer and architect who was a pioneer of the Modern Movement in architecture. So in other words the film is about an artist, played by Orla Brady, set in the 1920's and 30's. Which itself sounds very much like my cup of tea. But it gets better, folks: Eileen Gray was bisexual and judging from the images released for the film, her intermittent relationship with French singer and actress Damia isn't overlooked.

 Orla Brady as Eileen Gray and Alanis Morrisette as her lover Marisa Damia. I'm shipping it.

I have so many feels about this I can't even tell. To quote a certain song to express some of them: I'm so exited and I just can't hide it!

No comments:

Post a Comment