Friday 14 February 2014

Weekend Jam: Valentine's songs for lovers, star-crossed lovers and those who are just cross

In my corner of the world Valentine's Day isn't some sappy romantic couples' fest and still it makes me more or less sick to my stomach. I am not overly cynical and/or a bitter single nor stone cold person who doesn't get romantic things: it's just not for me. But if it's for you, well you go girl! Here's a song for the happy ones that sums up all the love songs of the world. How very convenient!

 
I Love You song from the British sketch comedy show Smack the Pony.
I grew up watching this and I totally feel like this about all three of them.

Then if you're more on the cynical side, fear not: there's a nice tune for you, too! Written by an angry young man called Bob Dylan back in the day. Here it's sung by Joan Baez. Such a babe really. I once had a dream that I ran away from my own wedding with Joan Baez. Actually better than most choices. Like the one I was about to marry in the dream. Well nevertheless, about this video: unfortunately the quality is kind of crap but then again so is probably your mood so it goes together nicely. And the sound's just fine.

Joan Baez - Love Is Just A Four Letter Word
This makes me want to get a banjo and spend the rest of my days married to it.

And then there are those who've loved and lost. Or who are way too familiar with unrequited love and who end up breaking their own heart falling for wrong people and then having hard time getting over relationships that never even existed in the first place. These examples are obviously highly hypothetical and have nothing to do with my life. Your glass can be half full but there are times when you feel kind of iffy about it. And when you empty that glass, probably containing soothing alcohol, here's one my of go-to songs to accompany that.

Emmylou Harris - Making Believe.
Sigh. Why yes, I do love me some gorgeous brunettes with angelic voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment