Saturday 17 May 2014

Sarah Waters and her glorious storytelling


I've been sick all weekend so I've mostly just reading in bed. I read one book yesterday, it was rather good but not marvellous and I was left needing for more. Today I finally started reading Tipping The Velvet by Sarah Waters. God bless you Waters, such a wonderful, wonderful book. I remember dreaming about books like this when I was a teenager, world was so different back then. Waters describes all the little details of sapphic admiration and longing so beautifully, I can feel myself just holding my breath, at times like I was a part of the story. It's such a bittersweet feeling. I cherish every page of this novel, I truly do. I can only admire such talent she possesses. How she creates a new world, so vivid and full of life and all the little details.

It took me this long to get into this book because it hasn't been translated and I was a bit nervous to read it in English. I have read everything else from Waters and to be honest, I wish she'd go back to sapphic storytelling. I understand she wants to be diverse but this kind of novels are so rare and they matter so much to people like me. I'd be forever grateful if she wrote one more sapphic novel in the coming years. But I love her novels nevertheless, I see her as a literal genius, unique storyteller.

Tipping The Velvet must be my favorite of her novels, I've seen the TV mini-series adaption many times. It's wonderful. Needless to say, I'm really fond of Diana Lethaby and her relationship with Nan. I remember when I saw the series for the first time, I was nearly shocked. It felt like wathing all of my wildest dreams in a moving image... It was visually astounding, I loved the atmosphere, I fell for the characters. I feel the same when I'm reading the novel now. Everything comes alive in my eyes in such intense way it's almost too much for me. I think I'll go back to bed now and open the book again.


No comments:

Post a Comment