Wednesday 15 January 2014

Things you should see: The Bletchley Circle

 ITV's  The Bletchley Circle:  Sophie Rundle, Anna Maxwell Martin, Julie Graham and  Rachael Stirling.

I have quite a few favourite things. This list includes but is not limited to: tight groups of females of any age, sisterhood and period dramas, especially those set in the 20th century. When all these meet, I'm more that likely into it. When I was pining with my feelings of loss regarding the TV series Bomb Girls (which has all these elements and more and which everyone and their mother should watch right this minute and of which I am so blogging about in the future), I run into some mention of The Bletchley Circle. As the second series started this January I decided finally to check it out.

I checked out the entire first series and the first half of the second one in one sitting. Well, the first series has only three episodes and the second one four but even if there were twice that many I still would have dedicated my entire life to it. Me binge watching something means nothing and if I'm not obsessive watcher I don't know what I am. However, in this case I got so hooked I just couldn't stop. Also, this is what I would call quality TV. It's the bee's knees.

The Bletchley Circle sets in London in the early 1950's and focuses around women who used to break codes during World War II. Now they use these mad skillz to solve complex crimes. To describe that with just one word: brilliant! It's like all those oh-so-handsome, oh-so-boring American dudes with special  skills in numerous TV shows only that it's gazillion times cooler since it's done by kick-ass ladies doing what the police can't / doesn't bother with. Basically they are like super heroes: they are true rebels and don't give a shit if the men are belittling them and their little ”puzzle solving hobbies”. They help other women in need and are willing to risk their own lives in doing so. That's what I want to see.

And you probably want to see it, too. If you like shows like Sherlock or Endeavour and the like you'll love The Bletchley Circle. Chances are you'll love it even more because, well, hello ladies! The fore mentioned ladies include for instance Anna Maxwell Martin and Rachael Stirling who've both been in filmed versions of Sarah Waters' lesbian favourites: Martin in The Night Watch and Stirling in Tipping the Velvet. Doesn't get much better than that, if you ask me. So yeah, go! Watch! Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment