Friday 24 January 2014

Carol! Carol! Carol!

When rumour had it that no other than Cate Blanchett was to star in a lesbian themed film I pretty much flipped. I watch way too much stuff, it's become my main hobby really, and if anyone even hints of possible lesbian content, I will be watching. Or at least checking out if it's worth it. But it hasn't been just once or twice that I've spent more time pondering on why am I watching the film in the first place than on any other aspect of it. Let's face it, when it comes to motion pictures, queers and quality don't often go hand in hand. I thought that I wouldn't set my expectations too high for the upcoming film: seeing Cate in it would actually be more that one could ask for. But turns out there really might be more into it!

The film is called Carol and it's based on Patricia Highsmith's novel The Price of Salt. (There's a hot reading tip for you: it's a great read so maybe that's the next book you should grab if you haven't done it already! Or actually, there's no better time for re-reading for now that you know the cast you can imagine the characters as them – sweet!) The description on IMDb says this of it: ”Set in 1950s New York, a department-store clerk who dreams of a better life falls for an older, married woman.” Gay old times and falling for older woman? A.k.a. a way to my heart!

Chances are I got a tad bit obsessed when I found about the project. To the extend I checked the film page on IMDb on weekly basis trying to find if there would be more information. Or well, any information. The film was announced in Cannes in 2012 and then for a year nothing happened – except scheduling conflicts. I was worried these Hobbit people would take possession of Cate and she'd have to drop the project. As this thing now finally seems to make progress, she's the only one of the original combo left standing: Mia Wasikowska (cast as the department-store clerk) was replaced by Rooney Mara and the director John Crowley by Todd Haynes. The latter fact sent my expectations through the roof, to the skies and to space and to other galaxies and I thought it couldn't get any better really.

Until it did. Because just recently it was revealed that the one playing this fore mentioned older, married woman's (i.e. Cate Blanchett's character's Carol's) ex-lover and confidant is is played by Sarah Paulson. I had just marathoned American Horror Story for hours and I was an emotional mess so when reading the news I was ready to shed tears of joy. Plus you know, more gays not only the merrier but also probably believable and just better. This may be the most expected film of my entire existence. Even more so than Spice World. And that's something.

Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara and Sarah Paulson. The dream team? Soon not only in my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment